Monday, June 6, 2011

Saturday Supper with People You Love


Is there anything better than spending a Saturday morning at the farmers' market?  The only thing I can think of that equals it in joy is cooking supper later that day with people you love.  Mr. Magpie's sister and her husband stayed with us over the weekend, and we did just that.  There was much shopping for ingredients at the farmers' market, the fish market, and the Italian market, then later on after a full day of adventuring, much cooking in a sunlit kitchen.     


We made several dishes: gnocchi with aglio olio and fresh herbs, steamed fiddleheads, chicken thighs cooked in olive oil with rosemary, shrimp grilled with garlic and chiles, salad with homemade balsamic dressing, and more.  But one of my favorite things we made is one of the simplest.  For an appetizer, and to smear on fresh-baked luna bread from Micucci's, we made radish butter.  All you need to make it is good, unsalted butter and some fresh, organic radishes.  Finely mince the radishes and then mix them into the softened butter.  Serve it in a cute dish (I used an espresso cup) along with great bread and crackers or raw veggies.  I sprinkle it with sea salt and fresh-cracked pepper (and a few snips of chives).  It's sweet and peppery and creamy . . . all with a radish-y bite that I love!
  

The gnocchi were soft and slightly chewy, with lots of parmigiano reggiano and fresh basil.  Heaven.


For desert, we macerated raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries in local honey and served it over meringue cups with a drizzle of dark chocolate and a small scoop of coffee ice cream.  Summer in a bowl!

It was a memorable meal, but the best part was cooking it with people we love, and knowing there will be many more meals like this one to share.

15 comments:

  1. Glorious! Food for the soul!

    There is something magical about creating and eating food together. What a lovely time you created.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! This sounds delish Gigi. I am going to try the radish appetizer, my husband loves them. Could you be more specific on butter amount? Much love XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sande, you could do this to suit your taste, but I think we used about 4-5 tablespoons of butter and 3 radishes. There were 4 of us eating, so we each got a heaping tablespoon's worth for our bread and/or crackers. Todd minced the radishes very finely. As you stir them in, the butter turns a beautiful, rosy pink! Oh, and I like placing another thin slice of radish on top . . . or even a chive blossom-bud! xoxo Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gigi,
    What a lovely party! They say that 'we are what we eat' and that food is the source of great happiness and also how better to show love for people than to cook and share.
    Thanks for the look-in,
    vickixx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Gigi,

    My grandmother would give you an A+ for those gnocchi -- they look perfect! Having struggled to learn to make them and not have people apply the family nickname "sinkers" to a batch that didn't turn out well, I applaud your success. Mine are still hit or miss & I haven't tried to make a batch in ages. But this may be just the inspiration to get back into the kitchen to try again.

    The photos are lovely, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could eat it all up.

    Deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest Gigi,

    That was a memorable meal with your loved ones. You are a great writer and you know the secret to life's happiness!

    Lots of love,

    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, I am SO HAPPY that I found you. The photos and ideas are fabulous, and I'm sorry, but doesn't the best food come from Maine? Portland...Bresca, Fore St., Duck Fat, on and on. This California girl is a part-time Mainer and it is the best part of my life.

    I will NOT lose track of you now and will be your newest follower.

    Thanks!

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gigi how wonderful a day!! The food sound just delicious!! So good to find you.

    Be sure to spread the word to come & enter my awesome $250 Giveaway from Tracy Porter!!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Gigi,
    How delicious.....I want to eat it NOW !! I am so curious about the fiddleheads and really want to try them. We don't have them over here. We have samphire which is a little like asparagus and I wonder if it has a similar taste.
    It sounds as if you had a wonderful time with your friend's....there's nothing nicer. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally delightful! The meal looks wonderful, but more than that sharing it with special friends the very best!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh!! What a perfect meal! And, yes, the sweetness of it is in the shared aspect.
    And, coming from good Germanic stock myself, I will be making the radish butter! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sooo DELICIOUS! Thanks for bringing us along, Gigi... That gnoochi has me hungry now! Oh, I just love summer and easy cooking...*sigh*... Happy Days ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful love filled day...love of family and love of food! Breaking bread together is the best of ways to celebrate love in my book:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you.