Friday, April 13, 2012

Friday Afternoon at Home




I wrote all morning.  I'm working on a writing project that takes up most of my heart, mind, and soul right now, so please forgive me for a wee bit longer as I am less attentive to blogging--my blog and yours included.  

This afternoon my brain needed a break, so I took a few shots around the house of flowers and books.


Anyone who knows me well understands why this blog is called The Magpie's Fancy.  I am a collector of many things; books, keys, and ribbons are among the things I treasure most.  I found this stack of J.M. Barrie's works for a couple of dollars at a used bookstore last year.  An avid Barrie fan, I scooped them up and have loved them ever since.


This antique salt-glazed pitcher is actually my sister's, but she lets me keep it, because she knows how much I covet it.  It has a large crack and can't hold water, so I simply fill a glass with water and slip it inside.  I think these pink stock don't mind one bit.


I allowed a bunch of white ranunculus to dry out over the past few weeks, and I am taken by the graceful curves of their dried stems and the papery wrinkles of their petals.  

The whole city is filled with light today.  Spring has decided to let the cherry trees bloom.  The air tastes like a promise.

I have so much to share with you--a post about John Keats, photos of my beautiful city, thoughts about fear and writing . . . and so much more.  I'm anxious to learn what you have been up to as well.  In the meantime, the weekend is sneaking around the corner.  Hope yours is full of the best kind of surprises.

"With freedom, books, flowers, and the moon, who could not be happy?"  
~Oscar Wilde

16 comments:

  1. Along with everything else about your Blog, I love your new font. What is it?

    Best wishes concerning your new project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today's pictures give off such a wonderful, warm feel! And that line!!!

    "The air today tastes like a promise."

    I think I can go the rest of the weekend without hearing a single word! I would simply let that sentence dance around in my mind and I would be happy, happy, happy!!!!

    Can't wait to hear what you have to say about fear and writing. I will be patiently waiting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your wonderful comments, my friends! You made my afternoon.

    I promise to have that post about about fear and writing very soon. It's a very important topic for me at the moment! :)

    Rie, the script font on the tabs and post titles is called Dancing Script and the font in the posts is Puritan. I was going for a clean, cheerful look for spring, and I'm so glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. Love to imagine you at your desk writing while I'm at mine doing the same thing. Makes me feel like there aren't so many miles between us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your break from writing gave us all a beautiful post to read and look at Gigi. Your photographs are stunning as always.
    Have a wonderful weekend and I look forward to your coming posts. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to hear more about your writing project and in the meantime you know how much I love your photos! How beautiful a stack of old books can be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These photographs are gorgeous Gigi... I do hope your writing is flowing as you want and that you are enjoying the process.. Happy weekend... xv

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have such a wonderful eye Gigi. I love looking at your photographs. They're like zen therapy.

    McKenna

    ReplyDelete
  9. flowers, books and your beautiful words ~ some of my favorite things!
    such soft, lovely images from your home. Happy weekend, Gigi.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVELY, Gigi... and isn't it fun how some of the best photo shoots can happen just right at home?! Those white ranunculus are sweet...I love the dried look! And you had me with the old books. ;o) Looking forward to hearing more about your writing. I'm writing a lot these days too. And sharing lots of my own poetry and other writings at my blog along with paintings. Very exciting just now! Happy Days, my friend ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  11. With freedom, books, flowers, and the moon, who could not be happy?"
    ~Oscar Wilde

    This suits my condition at the moment..........

    ReplyDelete
  12. Despite how busy you are, I love how you still find the time to touch base with your blog. Even if its just a video link, a picture with a quote, however small it may be, we know you're here! I hope you have a great weekend...it's supposed to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The photo of the ranunculus (isn't that a great name) reminded me of a beautiful book by Zeva Oelbaum called Flowers In Shadow: A Photographer Rediscovers A Victorian Botanical Journal. Oelbaum found the journal on a visit to the antiques shop at the rear of Pointy Head Inn, near Bass Harbour, Maine (more delightful names). It contained specimens of the relevant plants still pressed between its pages, and ZO's photographs of these pages are atmospheric and beautiful.
    I happened upon your blog just at the start of the year, and have enjoyed it very much; I have a feeling you'd fall in love with the book as I did when I came upon it by chance. Best wishes from Scotland, and here's to serendipity!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful images...very soothing! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your photos are amazing. New Follower.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  16. The weekend has come and now we are approaching another. Your photos are pure delight, even the pitcher belonging to your sister. How kind of her to loan it to you just because you love it. Cherry blossoms are blooming outside my window and there is something definitely so magical about Springtime.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you.