Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Timeless Ticking

From Patina White

Certain colors, shapes, patterns, and styles have always inspired me.  For example, since I can remember, I have adored mattress ticking.  It's easy to love: simple navy blue and creamy white stripes on sturdy cotton.  It goes with so much and lasts for ages.  Then there are grain sacks.  Again with the blue and white stripes and the humble fabric that just gets better with each washing.

As we head towards our closing on the new house, Mr. Magpie and I have decided to go with timeless favorites like these as our inspiration for decorating.

From Country Homes and Interiors

The new house is a cottage, so we're keeping things simple.  I love the idea of translating the ticking pattern to a wall or even a staircase, like the one above.

From Country Living

And, of course, ticking looks beautiful mixed with other patterns on a bed.  I like it combined with natural linens.

From L.L. Bean

Right now, L.L. Bean has flannel sheets with ticking stripes.  Guess what we'll be sleeping on this winter?  ;)


16 comments:

  1. and that's not the only ticking ...
    the clock is ticking tocking you closer to your new home!
    such excitement ~ i can hardly stand it ~ you will be having so much fun planning and dreaming and doing : )
    love ticking for all the reasons you have given, dear gigi ...
    sweet dreams!
    xxoo
    pg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, pg, you're a doll! Now if only you could come for tea . . . xo

      Delete
  2. I even found some wrapping paper at Reny's in ticking pattern;-)
    mcr

    ReplyDelete
  3. So exciting, my dear! I love your pins these days -- I can see your new house taking shape and color.
    Hugs!!
    M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm dreaming of where our beautiful window will go in it!!! xoxo

      Delete
  4. There is nothing like a cozy bed. Very inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ticking is great! I love the stairs idea. It got me thinking: the stairs leading from my garage into the house end up getting used a lot by visitors. That ticking stripe pattern would really dress them up and make them look a little more presentable. I'll let you know if I do it!

    I'm so excited for you and Mr. Magpie. I can't wait to see the magic you work on you new home!

    Keri

    ReplyDelete
  6. It will be beautiful! Can't wait for you to be able to move in and claim this cottage for yourselves. Love, love that bed and the stairs! I have some vintage linen sheet that would be perfect with the ticking. Now you have given me a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gigi, ticking stripe is one of my favourite things in the whole world! Those stairs are fantastic!!! I am so envious of your move to a cottage x

    Angela

    PS - Wicker & Stitch has changed to Soul Studio... please pop over for a look when you get time :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. it is so easy to love isn't it! fabulous stairs... xv

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect. Cannot wait to see what you do!

    How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the ticking sheets! If they have another color, I will grab to blend with my duvet. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. The flannel ticking stripe sheets are new to me! nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it too! For me ticking sheets will never go out of style. Period. Full stop.

    p.s. Flannel sheets are a dream in winter aren't they?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so excited for you and this wonderful new adventure the two of you have embarked upon. I can hardly wait for pictures. Love you, friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you.