Friday, April 5, 2013

Hope Is the Thing with Feathers

“Hope” is the thing with feathers -

That perches in the soul -
And sings the tune without the words -
And never stops - at all -

And sweetest - in the Gale - is heard -
And sore must be the storm -
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm -

I’ve heard it in the chillest land -
And on the strangest Sea -
Yet - never - in Extremity,
It asked a crumb - of me.

~Emily Dickinson

Just bought another bird feeder today.  Plan to fill my gardens with hope. 

Happy National Poetry Month, my friends.  


  1. A garden filled with wonderful is that? Flowers are there to fill us with joy and hope daily, I love 'em! (Though my garden is sadly lacking.) I do hope that one day we'll get to see your lovely garden? In the meantime, stay warm and enjoy your feathered friends, they've received their invitations to a party to your bird feeder!

    Hugs to you,

  2. The more feeders the better! Who cares if the bears do a little snacking as they come out of their long winter’s sleep? The sight of those goldfinches coming into spring plumage or that first chipping sparrow makes it worth the risk.

    I have always thought bears a good subject for poetry. I’m surprised Frost didn’t write about them. Some of his lines in poems like After Apple Picking sound like they could apply to bears:

    But I am done with apple-picking now.
    Essence of winter sleep is on the night,
    The scent of apples: I am drowsing off.

    This just sounds like bear thoughts in late autumn.

    Our phoebe returned yesterday & is now scouting locations for a nest. It is already looking at us with suspicion, even though it nests by our back door every spring.

    So keep adding feeders and see who comes to visit this spring.

  3. What a lovely poem! This reminds me of a detail in Victor Hugo's "Les Misérables" (which I am mildly obsessed with). The young girl Cosette was often called The Lark. Knowing that there had to be some reason why Victor Hugo specifically chose a lark, I looked up its symbolism, and found that a lark, unlike most birds, sings while in flight; the lark symbolizes cheerfulness and reminds us all to be happy. Cosette was the joy of the lives of the characters Fantine and Jean Valjean.

    It's true birds symbolize a great many things. I'm so happy the weather is nicer now so we can hear their melodious singing in the morning. I hope your new bird feeder is successful!

    xo Megan

  4. A garden with hope is the very best thing. Planting a seed gives hope to that garden. Enjoy your day!

  5. I do have a soft spot for Emily Dickinson:) I am hoping to get a bluebird boxup this spring but it may be too late already!


Thank you so much for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...