Sunday, July 5, 2015

Strawberries and Sunshine


I have lost count of the number of quarts of strawberries we've eaten so far this summer.  If it's true that you are what you eat, then I am on the verge of actually becoming a strawberry.  We grow beautiful strawberries in our garden, but the squirrels steal them, so I buy mine from local farmers, which is just fine by me.  Before we ate the last quart, I managed to stop munching on them long enough to do a still life shoot.  I could seriously take photos of these little gems all day.  I believe they are among the most photogenic of all foods.  The backdrop of the top shot is the inside of a vintage picnic hamper.  It's the loveliest shade of forest green--just right as a shadowbox.  The white berry basket is one I bought on sale at Anthropologie last week. Maybe they still have some left . . .


We have just been enjoying the berries fresh with Greek yogurt or a little light cream--or straight out of the box, but I do love them in baked goods, too, so I thought I'd share a link to one of my favorite summertime treats: strawberry-rhubarb crisp.  This one's from Ina Garten, and I've made it a few times.  Pure heaven!


And here's a recipe that I'll definitely be trying; this one's from Gena Hamshaw at Food52.  It's a vegan strawberry vanilla coconut ice cream.  I feel like I need to make it before the season is completely over.  Maybe it's time to invest in an ice-cream maker!!!  If you have one that you love, please let me know the brand. :)

If you live in the US, hope you've been having a joyous and relaxing Fourth of July weekend filled with firecrackers and, what else, strawberry shortcake.

Back with more summer treats soon, chickadees!  xo Gigi


11 comments:

  1. Stunning color. So very nice Gigi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos! I don't often make ice cream but I use my vitamix to make it. It's a very versatile kitchen appliance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea, Linda! So many people I know have a Vitamix and love it. Maybe it's time for me to get one.

      Delete
  3. Your art work is magic, and I love your writing style along with the links to the recipes. I have the ice cream maker for the Kitchen Aid. Once I figure out who I am again, I will get on making ice cream for the summer!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much, Carolyn! I could easily get the ice cream maker for my Kitchen Aid. I think I will!!! xo

      Delete
  4. I love strawberries. Strawberry season is short here - March to mid May. Then it's too hot for them to grow and they spoil really quickly. They really are very photogenic; beautiful in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the shot inside the picnic basket, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love your strawberry photos. That first one is fantastic! Also love strawberries and get so excited every year when the local ones become available. I have a Cuisanart ice cream maker and it works just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! it's been a long time. Glad I found you again. yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photos are absolutely beautiful. Strawberries and cream is a staple afternoon snack around here for my two girls, and for me with the addition of a cup of coffee.

    Keri

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you.