Friday, August 5, 2016

5 on 5


Hello, my friends!  I have so much I want to share with you.  I'm back participating in 5 on 5 with some very talented photographers this month.  Each month on the 5th we post our 5 favorite photos from the previous month, and then we link to each other's blogs.  I'll post a link at the bottom of this post, and I hope you'll take a peek!

I've been wanting to share with you some wonderful news about my photography.  Last month I showed you some of my recent Dark Flower Portraits, and I just wanted to let you know that some of them are now available at Chelsea Underground Fine Art Gallery in Chelsea, Michigan.  You can find out more here.  It's an honor to have my work in this beautiful gallery.

The photo above is one I worked on this month.  It took a while to complete the process with this one, as I shot over several days as the peonies, catmint, and other flowers were drying.  Once I discovered the moment that I was looking for, I then processed the photo with many layers.  As I've mentioned before, I tend to shoot still lifes in my tiny study up under the eaves in our house.  I have one northern facing window up there that lets me really play with light.  I use lots of different backdrops.  For this one, it was an old chalkboard.


When I'm not working on still lifes, I'm thinking about still lifes.  I take long walks in meadows and along the shore, observing the textures of grasses and flowers.  This shot above was near the end of the day at my old favorite haunt, Maine Audubon at Gilsland Farm.


Another favorite spot is Portland Head Light, where I took the photo above.  As with my still lifes, I sometimes layer many textures over landscapes and seascapes, as I've done with this one.


And then sometimes I just aim the camera, adjust the settings a bit, and shoot.  When the sunset is this glorious, I don't need to do much processing.  I took this shot here in Portland out at our new outdoor music venue, Thompson's Point.  Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros were playing that night, and it was pretty much a classic coastal Maine summer evening.


I'm wrapping up my summer teaching this week, which means I'll have about three weeks off before fall semester begins.  I've had some terrific creative writing students this summer--and all year--and now I'm ready for a couple of weeks of my own writing and photography time.  I'm not gonna lie; it's been a wild summer--a wild year--with some challenges that I wasn't sure I could meet.  July included a short but beautiful trip to Rangeley Lake for hiking and birding, and some of the most outrageous fireworks I've ever seen.  It also included tons of work, lots of visits from family and friends, and a bittersweet weekend spent with family as we celebrated the life and mourned the passing of my sweet Aunt Connie.  She was the last of my father's siblings, and now that she is gone, those days of childhood feel far away.  In remembrance, I've been taking Dark Flower portraits at the end of this month of flowers from my childhood, including these Queen Anne's Lace, mixed here with some fennel.

Thank you so much for visiting, my friends!  If you'd like to see some more of 5 on 5, head on over to Jennifer Brake's wonderful blog.

12 comments:

  1. These are so beautiful, Gigi! The first one takes my breath away. Glad to see you're putting those Queen Anne's lace flowers to good use! Just wondering - for your textures, do you use mobile apps or presets for Lightroom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carolyn! I use a wide variety of textures and presets. Some are others' presets, some are my own. I've also created and saved a lot of my own textures over the years, so I will often use those. Most of my still life photos begin life on my Canon, but some begin on my iPhone. Even when I start with the iPhone, I usually transfer them to the computer to do work in Lightroom, but I certainly like to play with mobile apps, too. It can be a long and kind of wild process for me to finally get the effect that I'm looking for.

      Delete
  2. Gigi these images are beyond awesome, I am not surprised to hear they are hanging in a fine art gallery!! They speak to the depths of my emotion. And the mystery that is complex shooting and editing, intrigues me. So beautifully done. Have a wonderful vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Karen! That means a lot to me coming from you, as I admire your photography so much. I also love that you called the process a mystery, as that is just how it feels to me. With each photo I take I go on a journey, and I never know where I'll end up! <3

      Delete
  3. Lovely. I especially love that last still life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so in love with everything you do and so happy that more people get to enjoy them at the gallery. I am always so interested in the behind the scenes for each artist, thank you for continuing to be so open with your favorite places and ways of creating the magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Susan! That means so much to me coming from someone as incredibly creative as you, my friend!

      Delete
  5. Your photos always delight my soul. I wish I could sit with you and learn more about layering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Marilyn! I always feel like I'm just beginning to learn how to do everything with photography!

      Delete
  6. Such a beautiful post. All the shots were wonderful. I especially like the Portland light shot with the sail boat. I love Maine

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you.