Monday, December 5, 2016

Five on Five


Hello, my friends!  Once again, I'm joining in with some photographer friends to share five of my favorite photographs from the past month.  When I look through the shots I took from the past thirty or so days, I feel a tremendous rush of very mixed emotions.  I can't go on without saying that the world feels like it flipped upside down since the last time I posted, and I can honestly say that November 2016 was one of the most surreal months in my lifetime.  I promised myself that after some truly terrible experiences on Facebook early in the month, I would keep my blog a politics-free zone, so I won't talk about any of it here, but I will say that the photo above is of a place that has become a safe haven for Todd and me.  In October we bought a small, rustic cottage on a lake here in Maine, and I took this shot on the afternoon of election day.  It's part of the view from the little beach in front of our camp.  We've already begun work on the place, and we've got lots more to do, but I can hardly wait until spring, when we can start really using the place.  I promise to share photos and stories of the journey.

When life has been too hectic to make it up the camp, we've taken some great walks.  I took the two shots above and below at one of our favorite birding spots, Gilsland Farm, in Falmouth.  It's the home of Maine Audubon, and I can think of few places I'd rather walk at this time of year as autumn dips into winter.


My sister and I spent a couple of days earlier this month making wreaths.  I hung this berry and rose hip wreath up on my shed one night, only to come out in the morning and discover that it had snowed overnight, making the wreath far more beautiful than my humble imagination ever could have. 


I've been teaching and developing classes quite a bit this fall, and haven't had much time for my still life work, but I bought a couple of absolutely incredible pomegranates a couple of weeks ago, and when I combined them with the berries we'd gathered for wreaths, I just knew I had to find a little time for taking some still life photos.  This one below is one of my favorites from the session.


As we head towards the solstice, I wish you much peace and joy, my friends!  May you spend time with the people you love most, may you be warm and safe from harm, and may you discover inspiration in unexpected places.  

If you'd like to see five of my talented friend Stephanie's beautiful photographs from the past month, click here.

More soon! xo Gigi


19 comments:

  1. That last image is oh, so, beautiful! Your work has indeed influenced me with the rich color and depth of texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Karen! I feel the same way about your work, my talented friend! xo

      Delete
  2. Such lovely work Gigi! I especially love the 4th one. Congrats on purchasing the cottage. I look forward to seeing more images of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear kind hearted friend...facebook is no place for any kind of rational discussion. I'm so sorry you had to endure that. On a more positive note....congratulations on the purchase of your new getaway. Looks like a gorgeous location and I for one can't wait to follow along on your reno journey!! I'm so sad to lose you in the 5 on 5 but the silver lining is that you are a faithful blogger so I know I can still keep in touch with your life through photography here in this very special place you have created. Happy Holidays my friend! There is much good in the world still! You are proof of that. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so correct, about Facebook, my friend! I'll miss sharing in 5 on 5 with you and the other gals, but I'll keep following along with everyone's work, of course! Wishing you and yours very Happy Holidays. I feel so lucky to have you in my life. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing some of your lovely world, Gigi. Sounds like we both got left with ugly thoughts after the election but I'm glad our blogs are still spaces to feel good and safe.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed, Susan! I've been feeling less and less connected to Facebook, and more and more drawn back to blogging lately. I'm looking forward to spending more time here in the coming months. Thanks for stopping by, my friend!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful cabin location, kinda jealous; but so happy for you. Love where you walk, the snowy wreath, and every still life you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn, if you ever find yourself on this coast, you know you're always welcome at the cabin or at the house! Hope you are having a wonderful holiday season! xo

      Delete
  6. That still life could be a painting. Gorgeous images. Thanks for this pond of peace, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jules! Sending love and peace to you across the miles! xo

      Delete
  7. The birches at Gilsland Farm is my favorite of this collection, though they are all beautiful. It's been a long time since I've gone there. Thanks for the reminder that I need to pay a visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend! Gilsland is a pretty magical place, isn't it? :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Gigi,

    It's been awhile since I've visited your blog, but what a delight to revisit and see, through your quiet and richly textured images, that you are indeed well, despite the election fallout. It brings back warm and wonderful memories of working with you. Miss you. xo Bess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Bess! It's great to see you here. I am well, indeed, and I hope you are, too. It's been such a tough time for everyone, but I refuse to give up hope. Miss you, too, my friend!

      Ooh, and you may be interested in my October blog post about Emily Dickinson and gardening. Two of our favorite subjects--poems and gardens! :) Big hugs! xo

      Delete
  9. I am so excited for you with the purchase of your cabin on the lake. What fun you are going to have redoing and making it your own and oh the photo ops....I can't wait to follow you on this journey....Your photographs today are just amazing...so peaceful and serene....Merry Christmas...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Nancy! We are dreaming about all the fun we'll have working on the camp come spring. Wishing you and yours a joyous holiday season! xo Gigi

      Delete
  10. Gigi, wow! You talk about surreal, and that's how it feels when I look at your photographs. The wreath photo in the snow blows my mind. Congrats on the new cabin. I hope you'll document the progress of the reno and share. (hint, hint)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you.