Thursday, November 12, 2009

Thanks and a Bit of Cheer

I was deeply moved by your responses to my last post, especially those in which people told stories about their own parents, whether passed away or still living.  It was amazing to hear your stories and memories, each one so particular in its details and yet so universal in the emotions it captured.  James Joyce calls that phenomenon the particular universal--those details that make each story unique and yet somehow make it touch the minds and hearts of nearly all those who read that story.  You all touched my mind and my heart (and many others', too, I suspect), and I thank you.



Today I thought I'd haul myself up out of melancholy and show you a few photos of the amazing terrarium my friend Marlowe gave me last April.  I've mentioned it more than once before, so I decided maybe it was time for a progress report.

These first two shots are from the early days, when it was a sweet jar housing two respectable plants and some marvelous little figures Marlowe had tucked into it: a bisque girl preparing to toss a ball, a park bench, and a shiny red bicycle.

Well, through months of benign neglect--a sprinkling of water every now and then--the pretty little plants have grown into a monstrous jungle that spills over the top and down the sides of the jar.  I know that  I should  transplant them, but I really kind of love this jungle as it is.  





Dozens of buds bloomed on the African violet this week, most of them happily opening deep under the canopy of the jungle, hidden away from all but the most intrepid of explorers who are willing to part the vines and leaves in search of the blossoms.

You may be wondering about the little figures.  I took the girl out a few months back.  She is at home back in our loft in Massachusetts.  The bicycle and bench are still inside the terrarium, completely hidden by the growth of the plants.  I love that they are there.  xo

20 comments:

  1. Wow, that is beautiful - both in the beginning and currently...i like the jungle look too...absolutely gorgeous! have a peaceful day, my lovely friend! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love it both ways! the bench and bicycle are oh so charming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gigi, I just caught up on Magpie reading and was so touched by the memory of driving with your father. All the details- the tomato-red truck, the Stanley tape measure, the rattly old heat vents at your feet, your father signing King of the Road- are so carefully recounted, so lovingly remembered, and so beautifully written. I won't forget that little vignette. That is our burden and also our gift- to go on living after our loved ones, but also to remember those flickers of innocent, mundane, happy moments that now bring us so much joy to hold to our hearts like tiny, live, breathing things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, you must have a green thumb! I haven't had a terrarium in at least 2 decades (maybe longer) and I had forgotten how pretty they can be when it goes well.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gigi,

    This jar of beautiful blooms and gorgeous growth brought lots of cheer to my day, and I love knowing the bike is still hidden within the 'forest'!

    Bises,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those figures in the plants are adorable! Thank YOU for the kind words of encouragement. What a month it's been, right?! Sending love and hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That pop of red in the miniature bike is too cute Gigi! Now, you've inspired me to create a terrarium...just hope I don't kill the plants when I travel- I don't want to see my face on 'WANTED KILLER' sign by the nursery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Gigi, your plants are so prolific.You have obviously got green fingers. I'm a bit worried that your little bicycle has got lost in the undergrowth and are you sure that there wasn't anyone sitting on the bench ? I like to think that I'm quite good in the garden ,but give me an indoor plant and they are doomed !!
    Have a great weekend Gigi. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you have a great green thumb, it's beautiful! Oh and the figures just add that special touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know which post to comment on they are both so wonderful and moving.
    The memory of your father reminded me more of my father in law somehow which we lost 4 yrs ago. There is something about Fall and Winter that take our thoughts to the ones we've lost...maybe the cycle of seasons brings that out in us.....I feel it too.
    xxx.....C
    Thank you also for your comment....I'm glad you found the right post...I messed it up:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...I love the idea of the hidden bicycle and bench in that overgrown garden too...mysterious and magical:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your secret garden is divine! Aren't African violets the most amazing plants - dance attendance on their every whim and they die; ignore them in the jungle and they thrive. Hope you have a lovely weekend in your gorgeous place by the sea. Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your little garden here is magic, Gigi...and I love the figures... Love this secret world you've created--what joy! Happy weekend, my friend :o) ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I adore secret gardens! I imagine stumbling upon it on my red bike, and walking within the beauty of its blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful little garden you have there! I just found your site through Relyn's and would love to post a link in my sidebar, so I can visit again. Would you mind?

    I read your post about driving along with your dad. Your descriptions in this post and that one are full of imagery. I'm so glad I found you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. P.S. I've always fancied myself retiring in Maine (although my husband says otherwise). Your descriptions of the beach and cold make me want to revisit that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love, love your blog and your pictures are great...I have had so little time to do any blog reading and I have missed it...stop by my Christmas blog and leave a comment. The giveaway is a great Christmas CD to add to your collection.
    http://grammyababychangeseverything.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your terrarium is gorgeous! I too love that the bike is hidden in there! Have a sweet day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How I love that little red bicycle.

    I wish I could shrink into miniature and hide out in there for a little while on that little park bench, admiring the beauty.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you.