Friday, January 21, 2011

Freewrite Friday: The Color


Welcome back!  I've heard from so many of you over the past two weeks here on the blog, on facebook, and in emails.  Thank you for you comments, questions, and enthusiasm.  Remember, too, that if you post any exercises you've written on your own blog, you can give me the url for the post and I'll be happy to share it here.  Please feel free to pop in and let us know how the exercise went for you, too.  You can even share a favorite sentence or two in the comments.

Some folks told me that they fell right into last week's map exercise and the time flew by.  Others said it was a struggle to stay focused.  If you're having a hard time staying on track, or if you get stuck during an exercise, don't lose faith!  Keep writing.  Remember how I mentioned that kitchen timer of mine?  It's true that I'll often set it for twenty minutes or thirty minutes just before I begin to write.  That doesn't mean I can't write for longer.  I can write for an hour or two, if the spirit moves me.  What the kitchen timer does is keep me glued in the chair for at least thirty minutes no matter what.  If I get stuck or frustrated, I simply keep my hand moving across the page.  I'll even write, "I'm stuck, I'm stuck, I'm stuck" or "I don't know what to write next.  I really don't know what to write next."  And I'll scribble things like that for as long as I need to.  What happens is that my brain gets sick of writing silly stuff and kicks itself back into gear.  It's a trick I play on myself, and it really, really works.  Distraction is the plague of our age, and it can be tough to really focus on only one thing.  I turn off my cell phone ringer and any other electronic device that might buzz or bell or ring.  I also stay away from my computer during a freewrite session.  The temptation to check email or facebook or a hundred other naughty things is just too great.  For those thirty minutes it's just me and my pen and my notebook.  

If you've tried all this and it's still not working for you, invite a friend over.  Not just any friend.  Make it a friend (or two or three) who also likes to write or thinks she might like to write.  One of you set the timer and then go!  Afterwards, if you feel like it, you can share what you've written.  I've belonged to many a writing group over the years, and there's something about sitting in a little circle with like-minded souls that can really make some magic.  If you try this idea, please let me know how it goes.  In a week or two, we're going to do a collaborative exercise that will help you feel a little bit like you're in a virtual writing group.

Early 18th c. color wheel.  Image found here.

The Color

Like last week's exercise, this one begins with a warm-up.  Think of a color.  It may be one you really love, one you dislike, one that puts you in a certain mood, or one that you associate with a particular person, time, or place.  Whatever color you choose, make it one that matters to you.

Spend a good half an hour to an hour (or longer, if you can) noticing things that are that color.  They may be things in your house, things at work, at the grocery store--wherever.  You might even want to take a walk to look for your color.  If you feel like it, jot down things you see in your notebook; include the small details.  

In addition to things that you see, you may even want to think about sounds you hear or things you smell or taste that remind you of the color.  Does that sound a little crazy?  Let yourself play.  What is the color of a horn blaring?  What is the color of a long gulp of cold water?  Things we can't see at all can feel like colors.  That's why they call it the blues and why when we get angry we see red.  Synesthesia is the name for this crossover of senses, and it is a beautiful writing tool.

So, after you've sought out your color, now comes the freewrite.  Your instructions are simple, but you may find them challenging to follow.  Open your notebook and write for twenty minutes (or more) about your color without ever saying its name.  If your color is blue, you are going to show blue without ever writing the word "blue."  You may want to simply describe the things you've been seeing.

If you have time during the week, try this same exercise with another color.  Does it trigger a memory for you?  A scene?  Let that memory come into your writing.  Show the color as vividly as you can using as many of your senses as you can.  

Several people told me that when they tried the map exercise last week they were surprised to find that even though all they were doing was describing a journey, their piece of writing took on a tone and an emotion.  This same thing can happen with the color exercise.  Have fun, and please let me know how it goes.

P.S. For you photographers out there, you could pair this exercise with a photography exercise.  Imagine a series of brown photos, a series of whites, a series of pinks, etc. . . .   



   






13 comments:

  1. I love your new header Gigi, I am still stuck on last Friday's map exercise and I think it has to do with wanting the map to be "perfect" before I even start to write. I am finding out that I feel blocked. I am so disappointed in myself, but still trying...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyes, please don't be disappointed! The map really, really doesn't have to be perfect. Maybe forget the map for a while and just write, then go back to the map after you've written. I thought about posting a photo of my own map on the blog, but I don't want people to feel like theirs has to look like mine.

    It's really all about playing and having fun. It's never, ever about perfection. :) That's why I call these freewriting exercises. I have a feeling that you will become unblocked very soon. The floodgates will open, and it will feel wonderful! Keep me posted on what happens, and maybe give the color exercise a whirl. I love doing this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for boosting me up, Gigi...I am definitely going to continue trying and will let you know, I really appreciate your kind words :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you have a lovely day. Blessings to you for encouraging others to write and pursue their dreams. Creative Writing is one of the classes I teach and lead a writing group for students to meet and share their work. So glad to have found you ~ xox Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Alexandra. I think we have a lot in common. I taught creative writing classes for several years. Helping others hone their skills as writers is one of the greatest joys I know. I'm so glad we've found each other's blogs.

    That is a fantastic quote, Robin. You're gonna rock this exercise!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an exciting exercise. I'll be stuck in the house for the next few days, as the tempatures outside will be well below zero, so I'm interested to see what I can accomplish.

    jennerspeaks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my...reading back over your posts here, Gigi, I realise just how much I have missed. I'm finding both blogging and all things online such a struggle at the moment. :-(
    This project sounds amazing, and I would love to do it, and I hope I can at some point in the near future. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  8. perhaps I will try this as a photography exercise, as you suggested. love the new header.

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to start on this! I'm so glad Julia posted the link to your blog. Thank you, Gigi!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ive just discovered you Blog and I am so excited to give your freewrite friday a go, I will grab your button as sugested and post back on progress
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant Gigi....I will have a little play with 'pink' when I get a moment....I know I already mentioned this but....am really loving this series xv

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your comments, everyone! This is a really fun--and eye-opening--exercise to do. Let me know how it goes, and please feel free to share the results on your own blog or even in an email to me, if you'd like me to share a few lines of your exercise here! xo Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  13. *pant pant*
    *wheez*
    sorry for being so late, ms thibodeau ...*sputter*
    but the dog ate my homework ... *cough*
    and i had to go uphill both ways to get here! ; )

    i just wanted you to know that i am here ... LOVING your exercises and plan soon to share a bit of what i have done so far ... i AM a bit behind ... i wouldn't allow myself to read your next exercise until i was finished the last one! i thoroughly enjoyed the map exercise and found it very useful in staying focussed ~ thank you! the timer is such a great idea ~ it is like having full permission to take a tidy parcel of time (or more) to create ~ very helpful : )

    i am super excited about the colour exercise ~ you are the BEST!
    mucho love,
    prairiegirl
    btw ... ok, so we don't have a dog anymore, but ollie did leave some deep kitty tooth marks in my writing notebook ... OLLIE!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you.