Sunday, August 7, 2011

Anniversary Pavlova

Yesterday, Mr. Magpie and I celebrated our seventeenth wedding anniversary with a stroll through the farmers' market in Deering Oaks and an afternoon of cooking together.  It seemed only right since on that very day seventeen years before we cooked all the food for our own wedding.  Well, it took more than a day--and lots of help from friends and family--but we did, indeed, cater our own wedding.  And my Aunt Jan did our flowers, and my uncles took our photographs, and loads of people we love lent their talents to making it an extraordinary day.  

So last night it was a joy to cook for my mother and sister and our nephews.  At the center of the meal was a steaming, heaping bowl of mussels cooked in white wine and olive oil with garlic, hot pepper flakes, and a handful of chopped parsley.  And of course there was plenty of bread for dipping in the broth.

Dessert was a pavlova--one of my very favorites: chocolate and raspberry.  The recipe is a Nigella Lawson one, and it couldn't be easier.  If you can't eat wheat, this is a perfect recipe for you, as a pavlova is essentially a giant meringue with cream and fruit on top.  It's not a dry, chalky meringue, but a wonderfully chewy one with lovely, bittersweet chocolate bits folded in.  I topped the whole thing with edible flowers from the farmers' market.  If you're worried that your kids might not like it, I can tell you that my nephews ate two helpings each, ignoring all silverware in the process.  

I want to say something wise and profound about marriage to close this post, but when I look back over the past seventeen years, I feel neither wise nor profound, just fortunate.  My husband is funny and smart and kind, and we both have one very important trait in common: curiosity.  Whatever else is difficult or challenging or stressful, we hold onto this tenaciously.  It makes every day new and makes the best of our dreams possible. 

  


24 comments:

  1. I love that your celebration today was the same as before - surrounded by the food you created, the warmth of your family, and your love for each other. Pretty perfect.

    Many more years of love, happiness and curiosity to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary. What a perfect way to celebrate with food and family and edible violas.

    The ability to let go of a resentment after about 15 minutes has served me well in my present relationship.

    And yes a shared curiosity is also a glue stick in our life together.

    thanks for sharing of your life and how you keep it fresh.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Happy Anniversary to you both. The dessert looks delicious and what a brilliant idea with the flowers...Have a nice week...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary to you both Gigi............sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate. It will take me a few flights but I will be there about 8 pm for leftovers. Leaving now. XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Gigi and Mr. Magpie, good for you two! You seem like a couple we would love to know, especially if you're making desert! What a beauty!
    Wishing you many more years of blissful togetherness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, desert ~ dessert, you know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A million congratulations!! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Gigi & husband,

    Congrats to the both of you for seventeen years of bliss with fond memories from the very start. Thanks for this yummy recipe! My favorite combination is dark chocolate with raspberries.
    Have a wonderful week ahead and love to you both,

    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary Mr. & Mrs. Magpie! ;o) What a sweet way to celebrate... literally, with the amazing pavlova! I adore palova, but not not made a chocolate one before... must remedy. Wishing both many, mnay more years of curiosity & happy together! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a very special wedding you had with everyone joining in to make it a wonderful occasion!
    Your pavlova looks delicious....one of my favourite desserts.
    Many, many more happy anniversaries!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Gigi,
    Many, many congratulations to both of you on your 17th Wedding Anniversary.....and what a great way to celebrate, with wonderful food cooked by both of you which brought back special memories of the day that you got married, I'm sure.
    Wishing you both many more years of happy times , togetherness and laughter. With much love. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh sweet awesomeness!
    altogether beautiful share...thanks:)
    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely post! And I love the photo of the parlova. It is so pretty. I will check that out that recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A lovely way to celebrate an anniversary. Love, love pavlova. Happy, happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  15. my favourite dessert too ... and i am making it today with passionfruit and blackberries.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy anniversary! What a perfect way to celebrate it. Your pavlova looks AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Seems like just yesterday you two were married. I'm remembering the group stroll during your wedding reception to look at the stars. Much love from L.A. xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks fabulous.
    Missed you Gigi.

    yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's the trouble with commenting on facebook posts, I thought I'd commented on this here but I hadn't!

    Again, Happy Anniversary! And the pavlova looks divine. A family favourite here, but chocolate in the mix is a new concept. Must try!

    Every blessing for many more years of togetherness, and happiness. :-)

    C xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it that 17 years ago...your family came together to make your day special... and that special quality from then transcends to NOW. Very precious....

    ReplyDelete
  21. A very belated Happy Anniversary to you and Mr Magpie! Sounds like you celebrated in a wonderful manner:)

    I have been meaning to try making pavlova for a long time and this beautiful post may just get me doing it finally!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations, dear heart. It is marvelous to share a long love and to have survived trials and hardships - and still be married to your best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love that you two catered your own wedding . . . that is just so you. I bet it was fabulous. One day I would like you to share the menu with me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you.