Saturday, February 25, 2012

Oatmeal Nirvana


The number one most loved breakfast in our house is old-fashioned oatmeal.  Steel-cut or thick-rolled, we eat it several times a week.  The number one favorite multi-purpose food is peanut butter.  The favorite fruit: bananas.  The favorite dessert: dark chocolate.  So, when I stumbled across a recipe on Pinterest that includes all of these beloved foods, there was no question.  I had to make it.

This recipe for Peanut Butter Breakfast Pudding is from Chocolate-Covered Katie.  She is a goddess.  If you like oatmeal, do yourself a favor and try this.  She says the chocolate chips are optional, but when cooking for Mr. Magpie they are an essential ingredient.  I will say, though, that I sprinkled on too many.  I will use maybe 6 chips per bowl next time.  That's all it needs.  You swirl 'em in with your spoon and they melt into a cocoa-y pudding.

And now I will just tell you that this is my favorite. oatmeal. ever.


We like to dip our toast in our oatmeal.  Do you do that, too?  Maybe we are just weird.  I made too much toast this morning.  This oatmeal is RICH.  One slice of toast each--or none at all--would have been perfect.


A few notes about the recipe: I doubled it, and it was enough for two very large servings.  Also, I made mine with almond milk, and it was heavenly.  I used all-natural peanut butter with no sugar in it (is there any other kind?).  In fact, I didn't add any sweetener to the oatmeal at all, and it was more than sweet enough since it has the almond milk, the bananas, and the chocolate chips.  Even without the chips, it would be plenty sweet for me.

This is a weekend kind of oatmeal to make for someone you love or just to treat yourself. And now I'm going to have to try every recipe that Katie makes!  

Happy Weekend, my friends!  x Gigi   

8 comments:

  1. You took Katie's pudding to new heights with your beautiful photographs, Gigi!

    Thank you for sharing this!

    I am just catching up on your posts. I am now filled with oatmeal along with new knowledge and complete inspiration.

    My children (now adults) went to Stadium High School. Dale Chihuly attended Stadium in 1956 & '57. The school library displays some of his earlier pieces. His work in the V& A is beautiful. His museum in Tacoma is our treasure.
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    ~Lynne
    [w/L]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someday I want to visit his museum in Tacoma, Lynne. How fortunate you are to have such a treasure. The Boston MFA recently acquired a stunning Chihuly piece. I feel like his work brings such joy to every space it's in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sloane will be in heaven when I make this for her breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love oatmeal too and have it almost every morning - flax seeds, walnuts and cinnamon are my additives and I eat it with almond milk - never thought of cooking with it but I will now!
    Yours sounds very yummy though and I'll certainly give it a go...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I am thinking of making this for my dinner tonight! Happy weekend, Gigi! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you enjoy it, my friends! I didn't quite finish mine in the morning, so I saved it and heated it up tonight for dessert. It was even better than at breakfast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can testify from immediate personal experience: this is WICKED GOOD oatmeal! And, by the way, Happy third blogiversary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUMMY photos, Gigi! I love the actually taste of oatmeal, but not really the texture and "sogginess"... I have soggy issues... LOL! But I use oats a lot in baking, and I make my own homemade granola--making big batched every two weeks for our breakfasts with yogurt. :o) Happy Week ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you.