Monday, February 6, 2012

Pinterest Passion

From here.

I'll admit it.  I adore Pinterest.  Social butterflies can keep their Facebook; just let me have my pins.

I've always been a magpie, collecting objects and images and other bits that inspire me, and I feel like Pinterest is the only online outlet that reflects this part of my obsessive personality completely.  Maybe too completely.  


From here.


How do I love it?  Let me count the ways:

  1. I can categorize my inspirations any way that I wish.
  2. I've always been plagued by half-remembered book titles and recipes, so I love that it helps me remember what would otherwise slip through my memory's sieve.
  3. I meet people weekly whose own interests and tastes intersect with my own in surprising ways.  One such person is Carole.  Her boards are full of beauty and surprises.  She is more sophisticated than I am, and this delights me, too!
  4. I also get to know old friends--of both the real world and blogging varieties--much better.  For example, my friend Ciara is one of the first people I met through blogging a few years ago, and I have admired her writing and photography ever since.  Through Pinterest I've discovered that we have common tastes in interiors, books, and art.  She is a deeply beautiful and whimsical soul who inspires me daily with her own work as well as her pins.
  5. I am becoming better acquainted with my own tastes.  I've always known what I like the moment I see it, but these boards allow me to see in a more coherent way the elements of design that most appeal to my own aesthetic sensibilities.  I'm also becoming much more realistic about the importance of function in any design.  


From here.

Now that I'm getting to know my own loves and needs better, I can tell you without hesitation that my next kitchen will have ample open shelving above and drawers instead of cupboards below.  I can also tell you that I like chandeliers much more than I ever realized I did.  And finally, I can share with you my deep and abiding love for black and white.

From here.

Yes, just look at the picture below.  There's the open shelves.  There's the black and the white--oh, and with little touches of bronze-y gold.  This combination sends me over the moon.

From here.

Since childhood I have collected bits and bobs, letters and numbers like the ones you see below.  

From here.

And typewriters.  And cups.  And bowls.  And frames.  And feathers.  

From here.

The photo below reminds me that in my next house I would like an all-white room with a few key pieces of black furniture and touches of those browns, bronzes, and golds.  The vase of blue delphiniums softens the edges and pulls the look together for me.


From here.

One of my favorite things about Pinterest is that I can collect thoughtful expressions and sayings, all beautifully lettered.  This one below has that gorgeous black and gold I love, but it also reminds me of a favorite line from a favorite childhood story.  Remember Willy Wonka's words: "So shines a good deed in a weary world."  

From here.

So, yes, Pinterest, I adore you, and I doff my hat to you.  
Now, if only I can decide which one . . .
From here.




19 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, YES. I know. I am obsessed and in love and infatuated, too!
    I agree with everything you said, and can add that it has transformed the way I shop online.
    Looking forward to following your pins!
    xo Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes, Dawn, me, too! I've discovered products I wouldn't have otherwise found, and deals I hadn't imagined. So glad to find out that you're on Pinterest, too, so I can follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Pinterest and have even found my own photographs on it too Gigi....have you ?
    ....and, many, many thanks for your kind birthday wishes....you are a lovely blogging friend. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how it helps us all to define our styles and has all of our bits and pieces of inspiration in one place and meeting other like minded people is the icing on the cake! I need to work on my pinning a bit more, but I so adore it too! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jackie, I'm so excited to learn that you're on Pinterest. Now I'll go find you there and start following. Yes, I've found several of my photos there, and I forgot to let people know how they kind find their own work on Pinterest. That will have to be my next post!

    So true, Cathi, and I should mention that I love seeing your pins each week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh!My! Gigi!! I am deeply honoured and touched by your words. Gosh. What can I say other than I hope you know the feeling is mutual! It's been truly lovely discovering this new little window into You, and yes, just how much we have in common.

    Yes, I am obsessed too. Totally. And for all the reasons you've said here. I've never been so inspired in my life. How thrilling to be able to open a page of Things I Love Completely any time I want! It's like having a personalised magazine at my finger tips all the time.
    Who would have thought!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have to look into this~*~* Funny thing is I always cut out pictures from magazines, write down little things and draw sketches (of course) and this month when I was organizing my workspace I decided to paste all my little bits of inspirational papers in a large, beautiful hardbound blank page book. I discovered a lot about the little things that have attracted my attention throughout the years. I really enjoyed looking over the collection I gathered over the past 12 years! Now anytime I need inspiration I can just grab it off my shelf. I think it's a new habit I'm going to nurture, like a picture journal. and Gigi~*~* what beautiful pictures you've shared here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for your kind words Gigi! Not so sure I agree on the sophisticated bit, I just happily collect the things I find beautiful on Pinterest and have to admit that logging in there can really lift my mood.

    I can only really return the compliment and am always inspired by the images you find. It's quite amazing to think about the connections one can make through the internet...lovely connections! Thanks so much for including me in your post :-) Have a lovely evening, bisous xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so new to Pinterest I have not quite worked out how to get the most from it but I seem to be enjoying it more every day. It sort of fits with my new blog....it's a new adventure!!! I am following your thoughtful expressions, all so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ya, I pretty much am obsessed with pinning I get so into all the boards that I loose track of time.
    Love your images of black and white I will need to follow you, so I can see more. That umbrella image is amazingly beautiful. And I so want a black kitchen.
    Xx
    Callie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooo... so may pretty finds, Gigi! I confess to purposely avoiding Pinterest, as I know I will become addicted, and do I need another online addiction?! ;o) haha... Happy Week, my friend ((LOVE & HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi. I am so jealous! Your images are beautiful. I've been trying to get a Pinterest invite for so long now but for some reason they just aren't sending me one! Is there any chance someone could send me an invite? (dancubis@hotmail.com) I would be forever grateful...at least until I realise I'm addicted to it! Thanks so much! Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just sent you one, Danielle. Have fun! Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely feel the same way about Pinterest as you Gigi. I'm a visual person and this is the perfect tool for seeing what's in your head.
    McKenna
    Textilediva

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much Gigi. My addiction has begun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have selected some really beautiful photos here - an interesting post!
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love Pinterest too. I have found practical ways of using what I have in a more fun way, I like that. I love just having pictures of beauty in front of me when I need a time of relaxation.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes! I'm having to guard myself against becoming a Pinterest addict!

    Keri

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you.