Monday, July 27, 2009

Style Crushes: Catherine Deneuve

One of my favorite blogs to do was my style crushes post back in June, so I thought I ought to make that a more regular feature.  I have so many style crushes, you see, so there's plenty of delicious material from which to choose.  It would have been easy to begin with Audrey, but Catherine Deneuve feels right for summer.  When I was a girl back in the seventies, I remember her doing commercials for Oil of Olay.  "Come closer," she'd say, "Closer still.  I'm Catherine Deneuve."  The camera would pull in tighter and tighter until her face filled the screen, and I thought she was the most glamorous person I'd ever seen.





Lovely at every age, she's been the muse for Yves Saint Laurent, and the face for companies like Chanel, L'Oreal, and MAC.  She is also an activist for the rights of children, AIDS patients, and victims of land mines, among many other charitable causes.  Style, substance, and ageless grace. I adore her.  Whose style do you love? 

12 comments:

  1. I'm with you. She's just out-of-this-world glamourous.

    You should make this a series!

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all for a series, since I keep randomly thinking of new people to add to my original list as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is definitely a beautiful soul inside and out! Gorgeous tribute to a very classy lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is so classic and chic, a lovely caring person too.

    I thought that was sweet, your memory of her.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps not all that classic but i am obsessed with Heidi Klum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Certainly one of my fave...watched her with David Bowie in 'the Hunger' recently...Fabulous! ps: thank you for sharing your story! You are so blessed! ~XO*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, I have the biggest crush on Catherine. What a classic beauty. I have to admit- I love me some Ruby Dee. She is just such a strong woman. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've reminded me - I still need to do my style crushes posts. Or, I could just steal yours since they are perfect already.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is a classic...and still a beauty at 65...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was trying to find that Oil of Olay ad on Google and came across your blog. My family, whom I know were present when I saw it as a child and fell in love with Catherine Deneuve, look at me like I have a screw loose when I mention it. And now I'm in love with your photography :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Phyllis, thanks for your comment! I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers those commercials! :D Thanks for visiting. x g

    ReplyDelete
  12. The commercial was for a product called Youth Garde.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you.