Monday, September 16, 2013

Bluer than the Deep Blue Sea: Coming Home from Across the Pond

We spent the last days of summer in London and on the Sussex shore.  It was Mr. and Mrs. Magpie and Mrs. Magpie's Mum on a weeklong adventure that left us with our suitcases and brains stuffed to overflowing with treasures.  Sine we've been back, I've been a bit blue.  

I always love London, and I'll have photos and links to share, as always, but for today, just a few pared down shots of Brighton.  I'd never been to Brighton before, but I had heard so much about it that I felt I knew what to expect: tatty seaside town, pier, greasy fish and chips, tacky shops.  Brighton does have those things, of course, but it has so much more, and I developed a little crush on the place.

I have loads of Brighton photos to post, places to mention, and adventures to share.  They'll be coming soon.  Well, just as soon as I can pull myself up out of these blues.  

I slip into a sort of melancholy whenever I return from England.  To call it homesickness is too grand a word, since I have never stayed there for more than a stretch of a few weeks, but I do miss it terribly every single time I come back.  What's to miss?  Well, in the case of Brighton, there's this:  

"But, Gigi," you may say, "you live near the sea in the States!"  

Ah, yes, I do, and I love it.  I also love the seaside in Brighton.  It's quite different.  For one, the beach is made of large, knobbly pebbles, not sand, and the water there tends towards pale greeny blues that we don't often see in Maine.  And then there's the chalk cliffs.  Here we have granite ones.  Both are awe inspiring, but they make for completely different sorts of experiences.    



What I think impressed me most in Brighton was the architecture, from the Georgian and Victorian townhouses to the quirky shops of North Laine.

And then there is King George IV's Royal Pavilion.  I think that deserves a post all its own, don't you?   

We've been back since the beginning of the month, and life has been full and eventful and rich, but I can't shake these blues, so I think I shall wallow in their depth a bit longer and wade back to shore only when I'm good and ready.  

In the meantime, I promise that I really will have some wonderful links and photos to share.  Misery, after all, loves company, so you can long for some lazy days by the beautiful sea with me.   

11 comments:

  1. I get your difficulty with transition: England is so...civilized. And subtle.
    Remember vividly my reaction to the tumult at Kennedy after a summer of polite queues.
    mcr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really funny that you mention subtlety. Todd and I had been at Old Orchard Beach just before we left for England, and we were really and truly appalled by so much of the merchandise on sale this summer. I mean, it's always tacky and a little trashy, but this year it just seemed so much grosser and more vulgar. It was the window shopping equivalent of watching Miley Cyrus twerking. Every t-shirt, every mug, every pair of women's underwear was adorned with either swear words or really gross sexual suggestions/images. And parents and their little kids were laughing mindlessly together at all this junk. I feel like wandering down the main drag in OOB has become practically a form of sexual assault.

      We were really pleasantly surprised by Brighton's boardwalk and pier area. Of course it's raunchy and tatty and rough around the edges, but nowhere near the level of crassness that we found back here in own state.

      And then there are the lovely villages in Sussex. Wait until I share the photos!!!

      Delete
  2. Oh Gigi,
    I LOVE Brighton ..... my sister lives a few miles away so I often go there. I love The Lanes and a fish restaurant called ' Riddle and Finns ' and, when you come across The Pavilion it takes your breath away. I'm so glad you loved it. Can't wait to see more of your posts. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jackie, I love Riddle and Finns, too!!! I had there one of the best bowls of bouillabaisse I've ever tasted. And you're so right--the Pavilion took my breath away. What a fascinating town. I could easily imagine living there. Sigh. xo

      Delete
  3. England does something to my soul that I can never explain. I miss it too. I love London but it's the lush English countryside which I absolutely adore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree about the English countryside! Hedgerows and rolling hills, especially!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous photos, my dear! I can see why the transition would be rough.
    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweetness! Looking forward to seeing you!

      Delete
  5. Looks and sounds like a completely delightful vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I would love to sit in one of those striped chairs and savor awhile.
    I can just imagine you would be blue. What a special adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gigi... such beautiful photographs... I have never been to Brighton (which is terrible considering I live so much of the time in London) and now... I am definitely going for a visit... Languish in your 'blues'... after all they are as beautiful as any other colour. Happy weekend... xv

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you.