Saturday, October 11, 2014

Autumn Gatherings


After a long, hard week during which I barely looked up from my work to see the leaves changing colors on the trees, I had the joy of spending a couple of hours in my my garden this afternoon.


And after finishing my chores, I took a few moments to gather some blooms and other bits from the beds in true magpie fashion.  I am always surprised by how much is still blooming in mid-October.  Our nights haven't yet dipped down below freezing.  It's chilly, but just warm enough to save the blossoms from frost.

I am reveling in the fall glory of dahlias, spirea, marigolds, asters, gaura, hydrangeas, salvia, alyssum, and even roses.


And beneath the giant white pine, the yard is covered in a blanket of russet needles sprinkled with dozens and dozens of pinecones.  I'm gathering them up each day as they fall, saving them for winter fires on the long nights to come.

7 comments:

  1. wunderschöne farben und bilder!!! alles liebe von angie aus deutschland

    ReplyDelete
  2. dearest Gigi ...
    i am looking for a most delicate, expressive word to describe how i feel seeing these works of art. they are simply sensational ... the prettiest pretty i have seen. i do hope you will consider making these into prints or cards to share with the world. i will be first in line.
    love you and your amazingly beautiful creative spirit ...
    pg
    xxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my goodness, pg. Thank you so much, my dear friend! I've been going through a tough time recently, and I've been having a hard time feeling creative. Was beginning to lose my spirit--and then yesterday while I was out working in the yard, I began just gathering a few petals and leaves. I'm not sure what possessed me, but I laid them on an old, worn tablecloth on the picnic table and just started snapping shots with my iPhone. No thought or planning. It was the first time I've felt excited about something I'd made in quite some time. What a relief! People have been so wonderfully receptive to them on Facebook and Instagram that I am, indeed, thinking about turning them into cards and/or prints. I'll let you know! In the meantime, thank you so much!!! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Oh pinecones in a winter fire are the best. Your photos are just gorgeous and a perfect
    celebration for fall.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you.