Monday, April 20, 2015

April Rains--A Garden Update


The April rains have come, and with them the green and red buds on the trees.  Out in the garden we've had crocuses--then snow--then then more rain and even more crocuses, sprinkled with some snowdrops.  We have raked and tidied the beds, made way for the grape hyacinths, the buds of which are tinged with purple at their edges.  The tulips are midway up, as are the daffodils and fritillaria.  The lady's mantle are everywhere, pushing up their tiny pleated fans through the soil, and the pulmonaria are showing off their polka-dotted leaves.  I've even caught sight of the first secret frills of red where the bleeding hearts grow at the edge of the woodland border.  Out along the edges, the shrub border is filling with color--the red twig dogwoods and the Hakuroo-Nishiki willow are scarlet red, covered with buds.  I'm thrilled to see that all the hard cutting and pruning I've done on the lilacs these last two years is paying off.  They are looking stronger than ever--and they are loaded with buds.  



Chores for the coming couple of weeks include dividing some of the day lilies and spreading the three yards of compost that we're having delivered this weekend.  No bed will be left out.  Everyone will get a top dressing to start the growing season with a bang.  I'll also be starting many, many flower seedlings for the new cutting garden I'm planning to grow in one of the raised beds this year.  And then there are the dahlias.  They will be emerging from their winter sleep down in the cellar.  I'll chit them out until the soil is warm enough to put them in.  For the past couple of seasons I've mixed them in with other plantings, letting them grow with all the other flowers.  This year I think they may get their own bed.  We shall see.


Spring came late here in the Maine this year, but now that it's here, every plant seems to be rushing to put on a show.  I am relishing these cool days, especially the ones when the sun puts in an appearance.  It's too cool yet for the mosquitos, so we can just be out there in the mud, spreading grass seeds, trimming limbs, and dreaming up new garden plans.  I hope your spring is shaping into a beautiful one. If you garden, I'd love to hear what is blooming right now and what you're up to in your garden.  More soon--plus pictures of the early spring garden!


10 comments:

  1. Your garden sounds wonderful. It gets so hot here in summer that I am not a very keen gardener. Most plants just give up although our roses seem to thrive. So, at least, we have those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would get too tired to garden if we had really hot summers, Loree. I love that roses can stand up to all that heat!

      Delete
  2. It sounds like all your hard work is paying off and I bet it's so pretty already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's starting to, Susan! It's still pretty bare looking to the casual observer, but I get up close and personal with every single plant! :)

      Delete
  3. What an fabulous shot of the crocus Gigi. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, my friend! I just love those little flowers so much. :)

      Delete
  4. It all sounds so glorious - sounds like spring has truly sprung where you live. Wonderful images!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has, indeed, Barb! Thanks so much for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Southern California is not the best place to garden right now with water restrictions, Santa Ana winds and hot weather since January. I am trying to keep my raised beds of herbs, tomatoes, arugala, chard and rhubarb going by dragging buckets of shower water and washing up water out to deep soak the plants. On the flower front, azaleas and camellias are almost over, but the Pride of Madeira is loving this type of weather, and the bees love that plant too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been reading about and seeing news coverage of your weather, Lynn. It must be so challenging to garden in those conditions. We rarely get drought here, but sometimes too much rain. I am just feeling relieved that winter seems to be over. We could still get some more snow, but it won't last if we do.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you.