Thursday, April 30, 2015

Being in the Moment

End of the Day, Town Landing, Falmouth, Maine

Spring in our house always feels jam-packed.  The to-do lists are long, the days fly by, and suddenly, after winter's long semi-hibernation, I wish I only needed about two hours of sleep a night.  There just aren't enough hours in a day for us to do the work that pays the bills plus do the million and one house projects that somehow feel most urgent in spring plus keep up with the classes I'm taking, plus get my own writing projects done, plus see friends and family plus workout daily plus cook meals plus--and most pressing and exciting for me--work in the garden.

Just Before Dusk, Congress Square, Portland, Maine

I'm grateful for my iPhone camera, because it reminds me in the midst of all of these tasks and commitments (so many of which I love) to pause and breathe and just take note of what's around me.  My word for the year is "see," and I live in a part of the world where so much of what there is to see is beautiful.  But I see what's not beautiful, too, and I believe that's just as important.    

Early Morning on Moulton Street, Portland, Maine
So many of us feel rushed and stressed these days more than ever.  I think that as much as we love them, our technologies--our phones and laptops and various other gadgets and devices--play a big part in this stress and in this feeling of never being able to truly shut down, rest, retreat.  It's up to us to take charge and use this incredible technology for our own benefit--to determine how we use it rather than letting it gradually take over.  So, I love to use my phone to take photos of simple, quiet moments.  I share some, but many more I just keep for myself to enjoy.  I also make sure that when I go for walks or out to eat I don't always bring my phone with me.  Sometimes it's best to just be in the moment, no need to record it.  I don't need a photo of every pretty latte I drink or every gorgeous rose I see.  That makes the photos I do take all the more precious to me.

I'd love to know what you do to slow down and relax.  What helps you rest and recharge?

8 comments:

  1. Totally agree, can't live without the iPhone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I could live without it, but I do love having my camera handy! :)

      Delete
  2. Very good point! Especially when I am on a trip and want to get every imaginable shot in, I find it's so important to take time to just drink it in.
    I love the way you processed your images of Portland and Falmouth. Familiar scenes shot in a unique way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I was really pleased to see you at the Open Studio last week!

      Delete
  3. Lovely images of your town. I am a rare breed, I guess, just don't have many gadgets so no problems with keeping things simple!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have come to realize also that I don't need a new picture of every pretty flower I see, though I am in love with them all. To relax I stroll through a favorite antique shop and just savor, not buying a thing, just enjoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's just it! I adore every flower, but I'm trying to restrain myself a wee bit. And I think just savoring is the perfect way to put it, Marilyn.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you.