Friday, March 6, 2009

Beginnings

It's 46 degrees outside.  At last a sign that spring may come, so I am cleaning.  Rummaging through a box of old letters this morning, I found the card that I gave my husband on the day he
defended his dissertation.  It's dated almost exactly eight years ago to the day (plus one week). On the front is this photograph of Paris (sadly, there is no mention of who took it), and inside I'd scribbled a 1960 e.e. cummings poem that seems just right for today, too, since this, like every day, is the beginning of a new journey.


what is
voyage
?
up
upup: go
ing
downdowndown


com;ing won
der
ful sun


moon stars the all,& a
(big
ger than
big


gest could even
begin to be) dream
of; a thing: of
a creature who's


O


cean
(everywhere
nothing


but light and dark; but
never forever
& when) un
til one strict


here of amazing most


now, with what
thousands of (hundreds
of ) millions of


Cries Which Are Wings





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you.