Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Dreams of Spring

As I went out for a walk today in the frigid New England air, I tried to have faith that spring will come soon.  My mind wandered back to this same time last week when we pedaled the boys' lovely, rusty bikes along a South Carolina beach, racing the dolphins as they arced through the waves just offshore. When I was a kid I never understood why adults complained so much about the cold.  This year I understand.  My middle-aged bones have been frozen since October. Thank heaven for warm friends, Earl Grey, crochet, the paperwhites Melissa gave me, and oatmeal with maple syrup.  They've coddled me through winter.  I can hold on until the forsythia blooms.   

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE those bikes!! They remind me of a very memorable summer when I was eleven and we went to the U.S. for a whole summer. My Dad was doing a five month course and the idea of him being gone so long was too much for Mum! We spent eight weeks feeling like we were living in a movie. (Ireland in the early 80's was grim...) At one point we stayed with relatives who borrowed original 50's bikes for us to us for the two weeks. They were so beautiful. I remember trying to scheme up some way to bring mine home. I still dream about it... sigh...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you.