Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Dreams and Schemes


I've been working in the garden whenever I have a little spare time, which usually means early morning or just before sunset--the two most beautiful times of day.  We spread yards and yards of compost last week, and still have more to go on some of the beds, but I'm not rushing.  These are days meant to be savored.  As you an see, the fritillaria and 'thalia' daffodils are blooming this week, as are the primroses and grape hyacinths.  The tulips are just about to open, and in the woodland gardens, things like epimedium and lungwort are at their peak.

I've allowed myself to cut and bring inside just a few specimens for still lifes, as usual.  I always love photographing them, but I love them in the garden even more.  As much as I enjoy arranging large, elaborate bouquets (just wait until the dahlias and roses are blooming) I also love really simple clusters of flowers--not arranged at all, but just tossed in a dundee jar.  They say springtime to me.  In a couple of photos below, I've included my latest find, this sweet little watering can, which I bought at my friend Melissa's incredible garden-inspired shop here in Portland.  If you are ever visiting coastal Maine, a stop at Fiachre is a must!


Oddly enough, I had begun taking some shots of the watering can and flowers over the weekend, and then I saw my friend Kim's latest prompt in the Online Studio: Potting Bench!  Well, that was an easy one, since my shots already looked like potting bench-inspired photos.  As I took these, I thought a lot about my plans for the garden this year.  In the photo below, you'll see that my gardening journal is opened up to a page I sketched our first fall in this house.  Nothing really ended up as I'd planned it, of course, but that's not the point.  I love dreaming and scheming, and discovering surprises along the way.  Among the surprises in the garden this spring are the lady's mantles that have self-seeded, which I was hoping they'd do, but you can never plan for these kinds of happy accidents.  I'm also excited to see that the lilacs, which I've trimmed back hard for two years, are looking the best they've been yet.  Soon there will be blooms to share.

Have I told you that I'm devoting one of the raised beds to nothing but cutting flowers this year?  I can't wait to see how it turns out, but in the meantime, I am loving the elegant fritillaria, with their little checked blossoms, hanging like plum bells beneath the wings of the white daffodils in the early morning light.


15 comments:

  1. Oh my Gigi! I would love to walk slowly through your gardens! They sound so lovely, and quiet. This is such a lovely post in several ways...and I want to linger and soak in the photos and your words. I'm wondering if I still have the hand drawn plan I made for my garden so many years ago. I adore yours! Such a very peaceful place. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, you know all the names! So much beauty already and I am savoring right along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful florals and still life. Met at The Studio | Online.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! I scrolled up and down, back up and down......several times. Stunning images......you must have a beautiful garden! I've never seen a flower (fritillaria) with checked blooms! Stunning share Gigi! Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for your wonderful comments, Bev, Susan, Diana, and Cheryl! I usually reply to each comment individually, but the reply function on my blog is not working this morning. I really appreciate your kind thoughts, my friends! xo Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous photos Gigi ! Love your thalia daffodils, oh my goodness !

    ReplyDelete
  7. The combination of your white daffodils and fritillaria is just lovely. Your stills are exceptionally beautiful as well. Looks like I will have to stop at Fiachre next time I'm in Portland. Thanks for the heads up on that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen! I think you will love Fiachre! It's right up your alley. If the owner, Melissa, is working when you stop by, please let her know I sent you. She is such a wonderful person. xo Gigi

      Delete
  8. Beautiful! That last photo is wonderful with the frame and single flower. Yes, I agree, some flowers are just meant to mostly stay in the garden. I just bought peonies at the market just because I didn't want to pick my garden flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Marilyn, I'm so glad you get it. I can pick daisies and zinnias with abandon, knowing their will be lots more, but others just seem too precious to pick!

      Delete
  9. Oh my, every image couldn't be any more perfect. Love, love. Saw you are from Portland. We visited there a few years ago after being in Vermont. Love your city. Visiting from The Studio | Online!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diana! I'm so glad you like Portland. I adore Vermont as well. Went to grad school there, and love visiting any chance I get. See you in the Studio! :) xo

      Delete
  10. Absolutely love the last photo. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you.