Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Finding Stillness

What do you do when one of your oldest and most treasured blogging friends announces that she will be holding a still life photography workshop for three magical days at her brand new studio in Rivers, Manitoba . . . and another of your oldest and dearest blogging friends invites you to come stay at her house just twenty minutes from the workshop . . . and those two sweet friends also happen to be among your favorite photographers in the entire world?

If you're me, you thank your lucky stars, and you book a flight to Manitoba.  

In my post last week I mentioned that I've been a thousand miles away both literally and figuratively.  Really, I've been two thousand miles away, but the miles cannot begin to measure what my time at Kim Klassen's The Studio meant to me.  

Finding Stillness was much more than a workshop.   

It was a time and a place where we had the freedom to set up a shot, and to keep coming back to it as the sun moved across the sky over the course of the day--no distractions, no responsibilities, no other task than to play with color and focus and shadows and light.


It was a space filled with well-worn tables and chipped-paint chairs and shelves of cups and bowls and books for us to use as we practiced making magic.  

Kim Klassen giving a demonstration on how she makes her magic

It was also the place where after years and years, I finally got to meet my two incredible friends for real . . . and to watch them work . . . and to soak up their brilliance.

Aeleen Sclater setting up a shot

Barb Brookbank, Diana Foster, Kim Klassen, and Shelley Rounds out for a morning walk on the trail

And it was, perhaps most importantly, three whole days that I got to spend with ten inspiring and talented photographers from the United States, Canada, and the UK.     


Carol Hart and Diana Foster

We talked shop--lighting, cameras, lenses, techniques and tips--but we also talked life.  And we laughed.  A lot. 

Ilse preparing a gorgeous salad while Xanthe Berkley, Barb Brookbank, and Barbara Skrobuton shoot

We also ate the most delicious and nourishing food, cooked by Kim's mom as well as by Aeleen, and by Aeleen's friend Ilse, an incredible chef who graciously let us photograph her preparing our gourmet lunch on the final day of the workshop.  It was a relief to be in a room full of people who not only didn't roll their eyes when I grabbed my camera to take endless shots of a gorgeous basket of peppers or a bowl of fresh salad tossed with line vinaigrette, they grabbed their cameras, too, and we all happily snapped away.



And then there was the stillness.  I found it each day in moments both expected and surprising.  We all shared an hour a day of silence, during which we were free to keep photographing or to process shots, read a book, write, take a nap--whatever our hearts desired.  I treasured those hours, as I'm naturally a pretty introverted person who loves to spend most of my time working in silence.  

But I discovered many times of quiet stillness throughout the day, even working side by side with other photographers.  It was easy to simply be.  Kim created such a light-filled and welcoming space that I think we all felt at home, whether we were gathered around Carol Hart giving a shop talk on using studio lighting or watching Xanthe Berkley make one of her incredible stop-motion animations or learning the secrets to gorgeous top-down shots from Barb Brookbank.  


The feeling of home extended beyond the four walls of Kim's studio to the town of Rivers itself, where we took walks, went out for supper, and popped into some of the local shops.  Everywhere we went in this small prairie town, people welcomed us, asked where we were from, and swapped stories.  I can't imagine a more perfect spot for a photography retreat.

Kim's sweet dog Ben was our muse and companion.


For me, the retreat extended beyond Rivers all the way to Aeleen's beautiful house on the prairie.  There, I got to meet her husband and one of her sons, hang out with her in the evenings, and run out the front door, into the fields each morning with her sweet pup Zoe.

Morning light in the room where I stayed at prairiegirl's place

Everything in prairiegirl Aeleen's world is arranged with love.  The shots above and below were taken in her house.  I didn't have to set them up, because this is just how she sees things, how she crafts beautiful vignettes at every turn.   


me and beautiful pg (Aeleen)


On my last day in Manitoba, I got to roam around early in the morning, taking shots full of color and texture at Aeleen's like the one above.  And her gardens!  And her studio!  I think I need to save them for another post.  There's too much to share.


As if staying with Aeleen were not treat enough, on my last night there, she took me to her neighbor Willi's Octoberfest, where we watched the full moon rise over the fields, and I got to see the biggest, most impressive bonfire of my entire life . . . not to mention fireworks and a fire lantern being launched.  Fire was definitely the theme of the evening!  And Abba.  Did I mention Abba?  There was much dancing to Abba.  Perhaps there wasn't much stillness that one night, but it was a time I won't soon forget.

Spoons and leaves at prairiegirl studio ~ love

Since returning to my own life back on the coast of Maine, I've been swamped with work, but I've also been finding that my week in Manitoba is very much present in my mind in heart.  The people I met there, and the time we spent simply sharing our love for taking photographs, have helped me to see why I turn to my camera so often, why I set up corners all over my house, always chasing the light, always seeking to discover a mood, a moment of stillness that once I've captured it, will always be mine . . . and maybe someone else's, too.  

Ben

I found myself using one hashtag again and again on my Instagram account while I was in Manitoba: #feelingblessed.  Thank you Kim, Aeleen, Xanthe, Carol, Diana, Barb, Brenda, Dorry, Shelley, and Barbara for three days full of more blessings than I can count.  




29 comments:

  1. What a beautifully heartwarming post, Gigi...I'm so glad that you had an amazing time - it truly looked so wonderful - thanks to your fabulous and beautiful photos! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Cathi! It was a joy to be there. xo

      Delete
  2. Yes, you were indeed blessed. This is something I dream of. Your photos are gorgeous, but more than that the love shines through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it shines through, Marilyn, because I felt so lucky to be there. You would love going to Kim's. You'd be right at home, my friend. xo

      Delete
  3. Oh my, this really melted my heart Gigi. Your gentle soft tone is enough to make me absorb right into your images and I can almost feel the soothing touch of each one there, the quiet space, the soft light. Love all your photos, but the spoons and leaves is perfect for me. Thank you so very much for sharing about your time there with old special friends, and new ones. I look forward to your next writing. The best part of this post are your perfect words "a moment of stillness that once I've captured it, will always be mine . . . and maybe someone else's, too". Really perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much, Beverly! Your sweet words mean a lot to me. And those leaves and spoons in pg's studio made me truly happy, so I'm glad that photo speaks to you. xo

      Delete
  4. It all looks like a dream come true! Isn't it amazing the connections we make through photography? I'm always amazed when I meet my online photo friends in person, they are exactly how I've imagined them to be...if that makes any sense. Your images here are absolutely beautiful and so evocative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a dream come true, Susan! Yes, your words make total sense to me. I think our online relationships, the ones centered around our art at least, our among our deepest friendships, so when we finally meet they just grow deeper. xo

      Delete
  5. years ago, i went to the very first "squam" and now being older and wiser and more gentle on myself, i need a stillness retreat with kim! thank you for sharing all of this yumminess with us!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally do, Beth! I think being gentler on ourselves is huge. The world is hard enough on us, right!? :) xo

      Delete
  6. Such a beautiful post my friend. So glad we had the chance to experience the magic together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, me too, Carol. I feel so lucky and honored to have met you.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Susan! It was definitely your kind of scene, too. Comfortable and inspiring and just what it should have been! xo

      Delete
  8. My heart is melting with joy to read what you penned about Finding Stillness. All I can say is BEAUTIFUL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, thank you, sweet friend! It was such a joy to share time with you at Kim's studio. xo

      Delete
  9. goodness me ... where does one start. i have read and reread and gotten lost and transported through your photos, feeling connected again with you and all the beautiful souls at finding stillness. you know how blessed i feel to have you here ... really here, to experience with the others and to share our home (and crazy country neighbours) with you ... did you leave the initiation to willifest out on purpose? tee hee! a very special time to share and to cherish ... you have taken me back ... so deeply grateful in too many ways. huge huge hugs from here ... and kisses on the autumn breeze ... xxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved every single second of my time in your beautiful part of the world, pg . . . even the initiation, which will remain secret and sacred, as it should. Lol!

      Sending huge hugs back to you, along with love and thanks. xoxo

      Delete
  10. So beautiful Gigi. Your pictures are breathtaking, I was able to relive the time in Rivers at Kims studio over again. Love love love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, amazing and wonderful Barbara! I feel so blessed to have been there and to share that time with you and all the beautiful women who were there with us. xo

      Delete
  11. Thanks so much Gigi for sharing your Finding Stillness story. Awesome images, just delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Karen! It was a huge gift to have that time at Kim's studio, so I wanted to share it with as many folks as I could.

      Delete
  12. How beautiful, Gigi! Your photos took me right back to Rivers, and isn't it amazing how that morning walk resulted in some of the the best shots ever! Oh, my ... I love that one of Ben on the trail - outstanding! Your heartfelt and honest writing draws me in, and I pored over each sentence. It was an honour to spend those 3 sacred days with you, and I hope our paths will cross again one day. (ps, I found the book by Ann Lamotte but am still looking for the other one by Roy Peter Clark. I'm going to Edmonton today so I hope to find it there.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That walk was an inspiration for all of us, wasn't it? It was an honor and a joy to spend that time with you, too. I learned so much from you and everyone else, and I feel like our community has given me a renewed sense of why I do what I do. Does that sound a little crazy? It truly has given me a creative boost that I hadn't even realized I needed. What a blessing.

      So glad to hear you found the Lamotte book! I hope you find both books useful. Let me know! xo

      Delete
  13. WOW Gigi ...... what an experience. We can tell by your writing how much you enjoyed the experience and, your photographs say it all. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, my friend! I've missed you!!! Sorry it's been ages since my last visit. I'll be stopping by your blog soon to catch up. Hope you are well! xoxo

      Delete
  14. It all sounds so restful. I feel relaxed just reading about your adventure. I have only recently learned to accept the fact that my quiet introversion is responsible for my creativity. I'm so happy for you to have spent so much wonderful time with people who get it. The photos are beautiful, as always.

    x Keri

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful post! Your photos are gorgeous, but more than that the love shines through. Very delightful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely photos. You have captured the moment and the beauty perfectly. My parents lived in Winnipeg, Manitoba for three years back in the late 60s. Then they moved back here and I was born three months later.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you.