Thursday, October 1, 2015

October


I have been a thousand miles away--for real and true.  There is much to tell, and I will, but for now there is October, the clear light it brings, and the days that disappear to dusk when I look away, when I take a breath, when I least expect.

Each leaf that shifts to gold on the maple outside my window is another blessing.  We will rake them, pile them out behind the shed, let them take their sweet time to turn to magic for the borders and the raised beds.  And there are bulbs for planting.  I'll haul out the barrow and the heavy spade, dig troughs for crocuses and daffodils.  There will be whole hills and mountains of snow between now and the next full bloom, but gardeners bank on hope, and October's sunlight gives just enough to keep me until spring.

11 comments:

  1. I love the way the light is slipping in around the corner; such a gorgeous photo....Your words describing your fall endeavors are put together in such a beautiful way....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I LOVE this...image of a quiet moment...a place I can gaze into for hours, really. Your words of preparing your garden beds for a new season. Fantastic post...very poetic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a truly lovely image this is and many more painted with your words. Enjoy this time, dear friend and I look forward to hearing all that you have to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear words! Yes, Autumn light is the best to give us hope for Spring. I am relishing the light and cool evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh, you gonna story me some winter tales. i just know it. i am settling in and in love already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, the beauty of October! Looking forward to a little chat with you this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your words and image that spot looks so restful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such s beautiful post and perfect capture for it. October has so much beauty to offer us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful image Gigi, October in all it's glory. Can't wait to hear your tales!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully written. October is the best month!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh - so- beautiful! Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you.