Monday, October 19, 2015

Hard Frost


I knew it was coming.  I felt it before I'd even checked the forecast.  As the sun sank behind the pines last night, I scurried around the garden beds, gathering as many blossoms as I could to bring inside.  



So even though it pained me to look out the back window at the frozen gardens this morning, here in the house I had the small comfort of all my rescued blooms in vases and pots and pitchers.


Really I don't mind this turn to the darker months.  Here in Maine it is the best time to head to the woods or the beach or the mountain trails.  Soon the last of the leaf peepers will climb back in their SUVs and head for warmer states, and we will have all this beauty to ourselves again until next June.


And this turn outside means it's time for the turn inward, too.  Time for fires in the fireplace, candles on the mantle, cups of tea, and thick books to read.  I've piled up the warm blankets and taken my sweaters  out of storage.  And there's still plenty to do in the garden--bulbs to plant and leaves to rake and beds to prepare for the long, cold winter to come.     


12 comments:

  1. There is something so special in drawing in, lighting candles, cuddling under a warm quilt, and reading a big thick book. Enjoy! Also enjoy the adventure outdoors in the cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree, Marilyn. As much as I miss my gardens for half the year, I do love the semi-hibernation of winter!

      Delete
  2. Dearest Gigi,
    Lovely post and I'm surprised that you got already your first frost! Well, we had a cool night too, even though it was warm and sunny during the day but once the sun goes down, so does the temperature in a hurry. Enjoy the coming cozy season!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment, Mariette! Yes, the first hard frost always comes by mid-October in Maine. I'm never ready for it, and yet I do love this time of year. The colors this fall are as beautiful as ever, and nothing beats October sunshine. :)

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely post with beautiful photos and a lovely description of the changing season. We share a home both in Maine and Massachusetts so I know of which you speak. We love the tourist , yet we also love the peace of winter.
    Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Cheryl! It's wonderful to have the tourists here, but then it's good to have all our favorite haunts to ourselves again come November. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Gigi your asters are beautiful and I love the white pumpkin shot, cool close up. I too am looking forward to some drawing in time. I have a lovely picture window to look out at now and a cozy gas heating stove to keep me warm. Simple pleasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Karen! You're so right about those simple pleasures. That's just what I love about this time of year.

      Delete
  5. It all sounds so perfect. There is not even a whiff of autumn here yet. Summer has outstayed its welcome for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos are gorgeous and I am so glad you were able to gather so many beautiful flowers before the frost. Here in NC, I am getting ready for the winter time in the much the same way. I too look forward to fires, quilts, and a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely images ... I love to think about you tucking your garden and yourself in for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great save of the blossoms. I can't wait for a fire in the fireplace. I shot outside almost all of last winter, I can do it again, bring it on.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you.